Monday, June 18, 2012

New goals, bigger ambitions

More than two months after registration opened, we finally signed up to run Goofy's Marathon and a Half.  It was my idea and I've been thinking about how I really feel the need to do this for so long that it's kind of hard to believe we've actually committed ourselves to the race.  Holy wah!  I can't believe we've signed up for this race.  I'm excited for it, but I have to admit that it is intimidating!
We found a training program online.  It is a 28 week program, and starts in 12 days.  Because I'm running at least one half marathon between now and then (and hopefully two half marathons) I won't really start the official "training" program until after those races as I will be training for those races and then jump into that training program after I complete the halfs.  This will leave me with 16 weeks to devote to training exclusively for Goofy's but I should have a great base going into it at the 12-week mark (I hope!).

On another note I am trying a new training program for the half(s) coming up this fall.  I started last weekend and it is quite aggressive.  I'm not that I will be able to complete each workout as called for, but I'm going to give it my best shot.  If I can complete it, stay healthy and not have any more unexpected medical issues I'm really hopeful that I can PR, even if I can't break 2 hours.

Okay, seriously . . . I really can't believe I'm going to run a half marathon and then a marathon the very next day . . .  I know many wouldn't agree, but this is going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment