Saturday, March 2, 2013

Winter Blues

So I realized on my run this morning that I never posted an update from Goofy's Challenge.  It's been 6 weeks since the race and yet I haven't managed to make one single blog post about it.

In short, it was amazing and the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.  In fact, it was so amazing that we are headed (sans kids) to Disneyland in Anaheim Labor Day weekend to run a 10k/half combo.  I will write about Goofy's soon, I promise, but for today I have other thoughts on my mind.

After Goofy's Challenge, I came home thinking I would do some skiing and keep running and just take it easy for awhile.  Well, the skiing was terrible--iffy weather and pitiful grooming by the DNR, it was cold, snowy, really cold, slippery, blah, blah, blah and somehow I found myself having a hard time finding the ambition to get out the door.  I started weight training, some short treadmill runs (UGH!) and riding my spinner once a week, but managed to find one excuse after another to not go outside and run.   I tried to motivate myself by briefly considering running a marathon two weeks before my scheduled half marathon in May.  I even went so far as to print out a training schedule and sort of follow it for about a week before deciding that I just didn't feel like running a marathon this spring and throwing the training schedule away.

And then I convinced myself, with the help of my encouraging husband and a good friend (who said she'd do it with me), to do a sprint triathlon this summer.  For the record, I am NOT a swimmer.  The last time I did anything that resembled "swimming" was 9th grade gym class when I was required to spend a semester in the pool.  I was never a strong swimmer, even in my younger days and quite frankly have always been a little scared of being underwater.  So when I decided to do this, I also decided I had to put myself out there and make it happen.  For 3 weeks after "declaring" my goal, I put off getting a swim suit, etc.  (again the excuses!), but then once day my husband agreed to pick one up for me.  Well, I'm proud to admit that I've made it to the pool two weeks in a row, and while it's not pretty I haven't drowned and I continue to have courage to go back and improve.  I also have the found my running mojo again, which makes me so very happy!  Hmm . . . maybe I need to reconsider that marathon mid-May . . .

1 comment:

  1. AND... how's that sprint tri training plan going?? I'll drag you through the swim if you pull me on the bike!

    ReplyDelete