Monday, December 3, 2012

6 weeks and counting

It feels like I have been training for this race forever, and I really mean FOREVER.  It's been a gradual buildup in miles and the longest training plan I have ever followed.  I've usually stuck to 16 week plans for marathons and 9-10 week plans for halfs.  But because of the intensity of running a half marathon and then getting up the next day and running a full, I found a plan and have pretty much stuck to it.  This plan is 28 weeks (so it really has felt like forever).  When I started the first few weeks of the plan it was early July, hot, humid and "long runs" were 3 miles long.  Twenty-two weeks in and somehow I've managed to run a number of back to back short long runs followed by long long runs.  Last weekend I managed a 10 miler before work on Friday and a 22 miler on Saturday.  My first reaction was "Holy Crap!  I'm really going to do this."  I was exhausted, but shockingly two days later (today) I found the ambition to get out for a 4 mile run and felt pretty good.  I know I still have a ways to go (7+ more miles), but I'm so close and I'm feeling okay.  It really is shocking how the body learns to adapt to the abuse.

So here I am, knowing I only have one more back to back long run--almost 3 weeks away.  Winter has left for the moment and even though I know it will return (probably tomorrow actually) I also know I can make this happen.

Six weeks left . . . what a journey this has been and I still have more to do.  I'm ready.  I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment