Monday, May 21, 2012

Suckin' it up

For future reference, I hope I don't have to have bone marrow biopsies on a regular basis going forward.  While it was not the most painful thing I have ever had, it ranks up there pretty high.  And 5 days later, I can still feel a "bruise" when I run.  By the way, do you know how they get the needle into the bone to do such a biopsy?  They SCREW it in!  No, bone cannot be numbed and yes you really feel it.

Considering that I had the biopy just over a week before my race, I was determined to get out for a run the next day.  Between the "bruise" feeling every time I took a step and mother nature (it was 85 degrees out) I had to cut my run short for the first time in a very long time.  I didn't regret it one bit, but I was disappointed that I didn't have it in me to "suck it up" and push through.  Two days later I went out for an easy 3 miler, which was almost as miserable.  Of course, by the time I got home from that run it was back into the 80s.

I'm hoping it's the heat and not the soreness, the stress of it all or something else going on.  Somehow it seems so important to me to push through all of this and keep running as if nothing is going on.  Or maybe I'm trying to run from everything that is going on.  Either way, it seems like my life (or at least my sanity) depend on pretending like I'm training for a race like I would any other year.  I'm not sure how this will translate come race day.  But in 5 days I will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment